Incorporation Forms and Information

NOTE: The information contained in this document or on the board’s web site is not legal advice and is for general information only.  You are advised to seek advice from a business attorney, the Secretary of State or other professional advisor as needed.

I. Forming a Professional Corporate Entity

The NC Board of Chiropractic Examiners (NCBOCE) has two roles in the incorporation process:

  1. Certify to the Secretary of State (Business Registration) that owners of the professional corporation (PC) or professional liability company (PLLC) have a valid and current license to practice chiropractic in NC.
  2. Assess the name of your corporation for compliance with statutes and rules.
    NOTE:  See especially NC GS 55B-5 and NCAC 10. 0217

The board cannot give advice on the appropriate structure for your corporation.

Below are the steps to form a corporation in the state of North Carolina.

  1. Download the Incorporation form that matches your choice of corporate structure:
    PC: Request for Certification of Shareholder Licensure
    PLLC: Request for Certification of Member Licensure
  2. Print four copies of the downloaded document. Fill in the requested information, sign and date all four copies.
  3. Pay $50.00 certification fee.  You can click here to pay online.
  4. Mail your documents to: North Carolina State Board of Chiropractic Examiners 9121 Anson Way, Ste 200 Raleigh, NC 27615
  5. Once we receive the documents and fee, we will complete the documentation and return the original with two (2) copies to you. We keep one copy for our records. Upon receiving the executed documents from us, follow the filing instructions with the NC Secretary of State.

II. Buying / Changing Ownership / Altering an Existing Corporation / Adding Owners

The NC Board of Chiropractic Examiners (NCBOCE) does not approve changes in corporate ownership or other alterations.  The role of the NCBOCE is to certify that any new owners of the corporation are currently and validly licensed to practice chiropractic in NC.  A non-licensed person cannot own any part of a professional corporation.

If you are altering an existing corporation, you will need a document from the NCBOCE called a “Non-Objection Letter”.   This letter will be required by the Secretary of State in order to register your corporate change.

How to Obtain a Non-Objection Letter:

  • Send an email request to the board that contains a subject: “Request for Non-Objection Letter”. Send the request to
  • Attach to your email, the proposed Articles of Amendment.
  • The board will verify compliance regarding the name of the corporation and that all owners are currently licensed by this board, and then provide the Non-Objection Letter to you.