The North Carolina Board of Chiropractic Examiners was established May 5, 1917 by the North Carolina General Assembly (G.S 90-139) to properly regulate doctors of chiropractic for the benefit and protection of the people of North Carolina. The North Carolina Board of Chiropractic Examiners also regulates and certifies Chiropractic Clinical Assistants (G.S. 90-143.4) and Diagnostic Imagining (X-Ray) Technicians (G.S. 90-143.2).
The practice of chiropractic is a privilege granted by the State of North Carolina. The North Carolina Board of Chiropractic Examiners, through diligent oversight, will license, monitor, discipline and educate practitioners to assure their fitness and competence in serving the people of North Carolina. In fulfilling its mission, the Board will play a leading role in the ever-changing health care environment through dialogue with the public, the legislature, academia and the chiropractic community.
The North Carolina Board of Chiropractic Examiners consists of eight members, six appointed by the Governor and two appointed by the General Assembly. Six of the Board members are practicing doctors of chiropractic who are residents of the State and have actively practiced chiropractic in the State for eight consecutive years immediately preceding their appointments. The Governor appoints four doctors of chiropractic. The other two doctors of chiropractic appointments are made, one each, by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives. The Governor chooses the remaining two members to represent the public at large and they shall not be health care providers nor the spouse of health care providers.